2020-12-21 15:23:42 • Filed to: MS Word Features • Proven solutions
According to Google Adwords, how to edit a protected Word document is one of the top searches on Google. To edit password protected Word document there are many programs which can be used to get the work done with ease. If you want to know how to protect a Word document from being edited the process is not complex at all. You just need a few clicks on your doc and it’s done. There are several other ways which need no external software program to unlock the protected Word file and all these will be discussed thoroughly.
- Part 1: How to Edit a Protected Word Document
- Part 2: Advantages of PDF Format
- Part 3: How to Edit a Protected PDF Document
How to Edit a Protected Word Document
When the Word document is marked as final, you can see the yellow line on the top of document, and you can't edit anything on this document, unless read only mode is disabled. On this case, to enable editing in Word document, you just need to click on the Edit Anyway button, and then you can make changes to this document and save the changes. Alternately, click the Activate button in Word and sign in with credentials. If that does not work, y ou can attempt to clear credential caches and reactivate office 2016 for the Mac: You can attempt to clear credential caches and reactivate office 2016 for mac to see if there is any improvement.
Why password protection is required?
There are at times sensitive data which has been written over the word document and therefore a password is necessary to protect it. Unauthorized access is another issue which is avoided by applying password to the document. Whenever you want to access such document you will get the error that the document is read only and cannot be edited at all. There are however some ways to make sure that such issues are eliminated. It is a fact that password may become a headache if you forget it. Such permissions are highly used especially in the companies which transfer Word files from one location to another thoroughly.
Edit a Password Protected Word document
The process which is related to this is simple and any regular Word user can apply it to get editing access to the Word document. The process is really simple and does not require any complex process following to get the work done. The complete steps are mentioned as follows. These step are very easy to follow and therefore can be applied by rookies as well.
- Click 'File' and select 'Save As > Browse'.
- A dialogue box appears and here you can change the name of file and click 'Save'. The file has now been unlocked and you can also edit the contents if required.
If there are any editing restrictions?
The steps which are mentioned as follows are to the followed if there are any editing restrictions. It is very important that you follow the complete steps to get the work done. It is a problem which many users face so eliminating it is very important especially in all such cases where the password has been forgotten.
- Right click the document that has been locked. Hover over 'Open With' option and choose WordPad from it.
- The document has been unlocked and you can make desired changes. The WordPad warns you that some content might lost. Click 'Save'.
There is another scenario where the document has been locked by marking it final or protected. Getting out of this problem is easy and you just have to click 'Edit Anyway' on the top of the document to get it unlocked. It can then be used for editing of any kind. The best part of the processes mentioned is the fact that these can be applied to all known versions of Word which makes these highly dependable and therefore applicable easily.
Advantages of PDF Document
PDF is one of the formats which are highly in use. There are many companies and even individual users that use this format to get the work done and transfer files with ease. Some of the advantages of using the PDF files over Word are as follows.
- The PDF is more interactive than Word. Using PDF creates documents which are highly advanced and embed the features which Word cannot.
- Most of the PDF readers are free of charge. For instance the Adobe Reader is free and can be downloaded easily.
- PDF files can easily be transferred to mobile and there is no configuration needed. Same visibility can be enjoyed on mobile phone.
How To Allow Editing In Word For Mac 2016 Free
PDFelement is one of the best programs which can be used to access the password protected PDF with ease. PDFelement has many features and hundreds of functionalities embedded which make it one of the best programs of all times. To understand the program it is advised to go through the features as under.
- Perform specific OCR or in user defined fields using the program.
- Convert the PDF files to Word, HTML and text files with ease.
- Approve and sign the PDF documents digitally.
- Unlock text of PDF images using the OCR technology.
How to Edit a Protected PDF Document
Step 1. Open Password Protected PDF
If the PDF document has open password, then enter the password to open. If the PDF document has the permission password, then open it directly.
Step 2. Unlock Permission Protected PDF
If it is protected with permission password, then enter the permission password to unlock the PDF. Or click the 'Password' button in the 'Protect' tab to un-check the permission password option, then the permission password will be removed.
Step 3. Edit PDF
Click the 'Edit' button on the top-left corner to start editing, then save the file directly.
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Your Microsoft Office account doesn’t allow editing on a Mac?
Microsoft Office is the first name that pops into one’s mind when it comes to Office automation. It offers a wide range of applications that allow users to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and even exchange emails. Since Microsoft Office is a well-maintained application, thousands of businesses use it all around the world.
However, if you are a regular Office 365 user, you might already know that Microsoft Office is prone to errors. Sometimes apps such as Word and Excel fail to respond and crash, just when we need them the most.
Lately, several users have reported that their Microsoft Office account does not allow them to edit files on their MacBook. If you are facing a similar issue, you are in the right place.
This guide will walk you through the process of fixing the editing error in a few steps. Don’t worry; the methods are simple to follow, and even if you are technophobic, you’ll do just fine.
Let’s get started.
1. Recheck Your License.
As mentioned earlier, sometimes Microsoft doesn’t recognize your Office 365 license. As a result, documentation tools like Word and Excel crash unexpectedly, and your screen displays the ‘Your account doesn’t allow editing on a mac’ error message.
A simple solution to this issue is to check if the license provided to you is correct. Once you recheck your license, you can proceed to the troubleshooting steps.
Here is what you need to do:
- Use the link http://portal.office.com to log in to the Office 365 portal.
- Once you are logged in, click on Settings and select Office 365.
- Now click on Subscriptions.
- Scroll down to locate the License section. Under the License section, check for the ‘latest desktopversion’of Office.
- If you cannot locate it, contact your admin and purchase the correct license. However, if your screen displays the ‘latest desktop version,’ proceed to the next steps.
- Connect your device to a stable internet connection and sign out of your Office 365 account.
- Open the Library folder and select Group Containers.
- Find the files mentioned below and delete them if present.
- Once done, log in to your Office 365 account and check if the Office applications are working fine.
You should now be able you use Office applications without any issues. However, if the application crashes between operations again, see the next method below.
2. Repair Disk Permissions.
Like other operating systems, directories on Mac have their own permissions. Permissions enhance your operating system’s security system as they do not allow programs to modify your system files without your consent.
If you face an error on your Mac, such as an editing error, repairing your permissions is a safe place to start. Doing so will the broken or outdated permissions that are causing the error.
Follow the steps mentioned below to repair disk permissions:
How To Allow Editing In Word For Mac 2016 Crack
- Download CleanMyMac X on your Mac to repair disk permissions.
- Once the program is installed, open it and click on Maintenance.
- Now select Repair Disk Permissions to fix the error.
Once the process is complete, you can now check if the Office applications work fine. We recommend clearing the system junk and cached files by clicking on System Junk in the CleanMyMac X program. Doing so will enhance the performance of your device.
3. Activate Office.
There are times when Office applications such as Excel and Word fail to detect if they are activated. As a result, these apps crash when you try to operate them, and your screen displays an error.
You can resolve this issue by activating Office on your Mac.
Here is how you can do it:
- Open any Office app like Word on Excel on your Mac.
- In the What’s New window, click on Get Started.
- Sign in to your Office account and let the activation complete.
- Once done, try using an app to check if doing so resolved the error.
Activating the Office will fix the corruption errors that were causing the apps to crash. Hopefully, you can now use the Office apps on your Mac without any issues.
4. Reinstall Office 365.
If none of the methods mentioned above work for you, try reinstalling Microsoft Office. There is a chance that the corruption error lies in Microsoft Office’s components like the registry values. In this case, uninstalling Office 365 and then reinstalling it will solve the issue.
Here is how you can reinstall Office 365 on your device:
- Uninstall Office 365 from your device.
- Once done, go to www.office.com and sign in with the account associated with this version of Office 365.
- Once you have signed in, select Install Office from the homepage.
- Follow the instructions that appear on your screen to complete the operation.
- Once done, go to Setup in Chrome.
- In the User Account Control (UAC), select Yes to finish the installation.
That’s it. You can now activate the Office by following the steps mentioned in Method 3. Your Office apps should work fine now.
This wraps up our guide on fixing the Account Doesn’t Allow Editing on a Mac (Microsoft Office) error code. We hope that our easy troubleshooting methods helped you solve the issue on your Mac once and for all. If you still have any questions, please let us know in the comment section down below.
If this guide helped you, please share it.